Saturday, September 21, 2013

Walk around Big Cliff Pond

I had been walking counter clockwise around the pond when I came upon 3 kids. There was 13 and 7 year old girls and a 10 year old boy. The 10 year old said they had been abandoned by thier parents and pointing to 3 kayaks said the wind was blowing to hard to paddle away. The 7 year old was playing at the edge of the water and the 13 year old was stretched out in the equinox sun. The 10 year old then asked me what I knew about solar clocks. He pointed to a circle drawn in the sand with 4 sticks at the cardinal points with a shadow of one pointing to a stone which he said meant it was 12 noon. I asked if he wanted to verify the time with my phone to which the 13 year old, eyes still closed, said "Please God yes! " The phone said it was 11:01 am. After a moment he adjusted the 12 o'clock stick in anticipation of the shadow crossing the stone in an hour. As I started to walk away I said not to worry that they had plenty water to drink from the pond and anyway they might be better off without their parents. That made the 7 year old laugh.

No comments: